Thursday, November 4, 2010

We made history... and then there was Halloween...

This past Thursday, all of Year Course participated in the first ever Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Israel! Held in Jerusalem, this historic event drew thousands of participants. After receiving official t-shirts, I was handed a Hadassah flag to carry throughout the race - the flag was about as big as I am. Why they picked one of the shortest members of Year Course to carry the Hadassah flag is beyond me, but I was excited nevertheless (I tried not to hit too many people in my path, but eventually people realized they should avoid the short girl with the huge flag). At the start line, Senator Joe Lieberman spoke, and jokingly commented that he loves Hadassah so much, he married it (his wife is Hadassah Lieberman. Hahaha) and then, Nancy G. Brinker followed him. Nancy Brinker is the founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure; nearly 30 years ago, she promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, to bring an end to breast cancer. Today, the Susan G. Komen Foundation is the largest non-profit organization donating to breast cancer research (over $1.5 billion to date!) It was an incredible event, and I felt so fortunate to be a part of it.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we simply could not let Halloween pass us by, despite the fact that we're in Israel and no one here knows or understands what Halloween is, let alone celebrates it. However, as Americans in Israel, we took it upon ourselves to dress up and take Tel Aviv by storm. Well, my roommate and I dressed up as Tom Cruise from Risky Business; big white Oxford shirts, guy's briefs, high socks and, of course, sunglasses. After several hours at a downtown club (the local club-goers thought we were quite the sight. Over 200 American teenagers dressed up ridiculously in public. It was like a zoo) we decided it would be a good idea to go to the local 24-hour breakfast place (yes, they serve bacon). So, we sat, in costume, in a restaurant, and ordered omelettes, pancakes, french toast and the like. Don't worry, we tipped our waiter really, really well.

The following day was Yitzhak Rabin's memorial in Rabin Square (Kikar Rabin), where he was assassinated fifteen years ago. The service drew an unbelievable crowd; it was impossible to move. Members of all political parties, speakers including Shimon Peres and Rabin's grandson, and musical performances made the night very special. While standing in the audience, I saw a group of security guards coming through, the crowd parting for them (the sunglasses at night, black suits and earpieces gave them away). Who was in between the cloud of broad- shouldered intimidators? Isaac "Bougie" Herzog, Minister of Social Affairs. He stopped for a minute, introduced himself and shook my hand! I don't think his security details were too fond of the pause in proceeding through the crowd, but it was nice to meet him (for 12 seconds).

It's been yet another long several days of school and volunteering; one of the scariest moments of my week? A woman in the Super Douche had an argument with one of the cashiers and proceeded to raise a full soda bottle over her head and attempt to swing at the cashier and grocery bagger. Luckily, security was called before it escalated (and before any soda bottle to head contact was made). It was one of those "oy vey" scenarios. I paid for my chicken and aluminum foil and got out as fast as possible.

That's all for now - I should start preparing for my Shabbat dinner tomorrow night; I'm cooking!

Shabbat Shalom from Israel, and lots of love,
Elana

No comments:

Post a Comment