Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Chess Game

Walking back to my apartment from the shouk (open air market in Tel Aviv) today, I passed two older men sitting at a table in the local park, playing what seemed to be a very intense game of chess. I overheard them arguing in Hebrew, back and forth at an unbelievably rapid pace, motioning violently to the board. However, they did, I noticed, take a second to stop and tip their fishing hats my way, muttering "shalom" and continuing their debate. This scene, however short and perhaps insignificant at the time, caused me to realize how quickly time passes. I was rushing home to make a quick dinner and get to a night class on time, but these two elderly men, both of whom clearly had much invested in their game but know nothing about me, took the time to greet me as I scurried along the tree-lined path toward the main road.

I spent today, after a volunteering meeting in the morning, at the Shouk Hacarmel on Nachalat Benyamin street in Tel Aviv. This particular market is only open on Tuesdays and Fridays, and features jewelry and handmade goods by Israeli artists. My friends and I, completely overwhelmed, walked for hours along the winding side streets, stopping to examine necklaces and earrings and artwork. I wanted to miss nothing; rushing around could only lead to neglected tables of goodies, and that would be tragic. I slowly realized, between oohing and ahhing at every vendor's table, that Israel hasn't always been like this. In fact, it hasn't always been, period. When the two men playing chess in the park were my age, I doubt Israel had become a country yet (judging by the looks of them, I doubt World War II had even started). They didn't have the opportunity to study at an ulpan here, to volunteer in local neighborhoods, to shop at the weekly shouk. They didn't take their lives into their hands by getting into taxi cabs driven by road-raging Israelis, spend the High Holy Days in Jerusalem or buy chicken at Super Douche. I know they couldn't blog about any of it, either. I am blessed and challenged with all of these experiences, and I know that time will pass faster than I can sing the Alef Bet, but I also know that I plan to take advantage of every moment, of every opportunity to meet new people and try new things. And next time, I will introduce myself to the men in the park playing chess.

Speaking of trying new things... yesterday, a friend and I ventured to find a salon in Bat Yam. First of all, let me explain something. Very few people here speak English. That is not true for all of Israel, but in this neighborhood, English is considered a third (or nonexistent) language. In most places, street signs are listed in Hebrew and translated into English and Arabic. Here, signs, advertisements, and labels are in Hebrew and translated to Russian. English (angleet, in Hebrew) is a rarity. Anyway, we found a local salon (in the Bat Yam mall, of course!) which offers all necessary beautification services. Their English is okay (kacha kacha), my manicure was decent, and the prices are more than reasonable. Ella, who works at the salon and was unlucky enough to get saddled with me yesterday, knows few English words, but has promised me to help improve my Hebrew if I help her with her English. I told her that as long as she continues to help me look kept, I will teach her all English she wants to learn.

As of now, I believe to have mentioned the latest highlights. I made some spaghetti bolognese for dinner (complete with garlic bread), and am about to finish studying for my Hebrew progress assessment tomorrow morning! Wish me luck!

More later, with pictures!
Elana xo

No comments:

Post a Comment