Friday, September 10, 2010

The (rather humid) winds of change

As Rosh Hashanah comes to a close and Israel prepares for Yom Kippur, I find myself somewhat conflicted. The best way to settle internal conflict? Have shrimp for lunch.

I was fortunate enough to spend an amazing Rosh Hashanah with my family friend Michal her children, Ronny and Gil, and their extended family. My friends and I were welcomed with open arms and delicious food; to say I was full would be the understatement of the century. Luckily, we were spared the fish heads - it is customary in Israel to serve fish heads at Rosh Hashanah dinner to represent beginning the year at the "head" and not the "tail" - but enjoyed gefilte fish and even tried some chopped chicken liver, filled our plates with Israeli salad and pot roast, potatoes of every kind and chicken with apples. It was an incredible meal and I am so thankful to have spent the holiday with such warm, welcoming people!

I would be lying, however, if I didn't recognize the details that make Rosh Hashanah at home in New Jersey so special to me and my family. Ever since I was young, I truly believed that my grandfather's "medicine" was J&B scotch. I was (and I hope still am) in charge of pouring him a "dose" on the rocks, with water and lemon. I'm sure someone administered his necessary dosage this year, but it wasn't me. I missed making gefilte fish with my mom and Bubbie, correcting the pieces that turn out too large and of course, taste testing every batch (and then proceeding to argue about whether or not we should add salt). I missed running from the kitchen to the dining room table, shuttling food to mouths that are certainly not hungry, since the soup and fish have kept everyone chewing. It's the small stuff like this that makes me realize the changes I am facing and, in turn, the challenges of living in a foreign place. Things are certainly not the same, but different isn't bad... just... different.

Since we have several days off for the holiday and then shabbat, we elected to spend Thursday night in Tel Aviv. We explored new spots, including Mike's Place, which is famous for catering to Americans. The wait staff speaks perfect English, the menus are in English, the live music is all recognizable and bands sing American songs, and (this is the best part) they serve bacon! No, I did not indulge (bacon at 1 AM isn't always the smartest idea) but in case I ever need a quick fix, I know where to go.

In keeping with this theme of treif, today I visited one of my closest friends and favorite people, Dafna, with whom I stayed while in Israel several summers ago. We had big plans to venture into Tel Aviv, but due to the holiday, everything was closed. Instead, Dafna took me to the new Cinema City in Rishon LeZion, the largest movie theater complex in the Middle East. It boasts 26 movie theaters, endless shops, restaurants and bars. After watching Inception with Hebrew subtitles (imagining Leonardo DiCaprio speaking Hebrew makes him infinitely hotter than his Titanic days... even if he has aged a bit since) we checked out the mall's Giraffe restaurant. The Asian fusion menu listed sushi and noodles, meat and fish, and most notably... shrimp! Squid ink pasta with seafood has yet to taste so good.

So, Rosh Hashanah was both traditional and new (traditional in the form of dinner and family gatherings, new in the form of treif for lunch), but altogether, amazing. While it's true that I currently have a laundry pile that rivals Everest (yes Mom, it all fit into my laundry bag, it's not on my floor), a grocery list that needs attention, and Hebrew pronunciations to practice (and perfect, I hope), I know it's the beginning of a new year filled with positive change and new opportunities. I know I will get lost, make mistakes and miss what I know to be the safe, secluded bubble of home, but I also know that in a few weeks, I will be a laundromat professional, a Level 1 Hebrew-speaking student, and I might even get to have more than a three-word conversation with the lady who owns Super Katzenelson across the street. And as soon as all that happens, you'll be some of the first to know!

Hugs and kisses,
Elana xox

1 comment:

  1. we missed you around our table and kitchen, too. but i can't wait to hear how much russian you've learned from the little kids when we visit in november (and i want you to teach me some more words that are NOT in the vocabulary book)

    ReplyDelete