Friday, September 3, 2010

Welcome!

Hello everyone! I have embarked on a nine-month journey to Israel and Rwanda! It's been almost a week, and already, I've had my fair share of excitement. Within two hours of moving into my apartment outside of Tel Aviv, the entire place was blooded with bath water! Not the best way to begin a new chapter, but I can think of worse. It's been many days of orientation, what to do and what not to do (mostly what not to do) and how to survive as a "stupid" American in Israel.

In 9 months, I don't want to be an American in Israel. I want to be yet another girl who can pass for a local member of the Israeli community, who can speak the language without hesitation, and who can hold her own in a bargaining battle at the market (the last one is somewhat of a hybrid of the first two). I'm hoping that by the time I return home to begin college, I have become nearly fluent in Hebrew, I've made some incredible friends, and had some unforgettable experiences.

As soon as I have the pictures and anecdotes to share (not to mention the Internet access) I will post them here. I hope you enjoy!!

Love from Israel,
Elana

1 comment:

  1. love reading it. the who=he, he = she, [BTW, you missed the "me=who"], is only the beginning. not only everything has a gender [and it's not the same gender as in Spanish], but also verbs can take up to 7 different forms. on the up side, the order of words in the sentence is much more flexible.
    one of your biggest challenges will be to get the all too helpful Israelis, to NOT help you by speaking English. be stubborn, it's the only way that will work. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete