Sunday, September 5, 2010

End of Week One!

Shalom readers! Sunday begins the work week in Israel, so today is our final day of orientation before starting classes tomorrow. This morning was slightly overwhelming; we broke into groups for our Bat Yam community service initiatives. As of now, I will be working in an elementary school twice a week, teaching English. I can't wait! Afterward, we had a laffa break (laffa is now synonymous with lunch) and stopped at the Super Douche (where else?) to pick up some last minute groceries in order to cook dinner tonight. Since I decided to make chicken cacciatore for my apartment, we naturally needed some chicken breast.

To say there was a loss in communication would be an understatement. After waiting on line for what seemed like twenty minutes, it became my turn, and I asked for chicken breast. "You want WHAT?" The butcher was not amused, to say the least. He then handed me an entire chicken, bones and skin included. I shook my head, knowing that I had to get creative. In order to communicate more effectively, I pointed to the chicken, and then at my chest. The woman next to me waiting for her giblets or whatever found this hysterical. It was, I must say, a scene. "Oh! Schnitzel!" As it turns out, chicken breast, raw, fried, cacciatoried, or whatever, is called schnitzel. I walked out with my four schnitzels (schnitzelim?), boneless and skinless, and, I must say, I felt quite accomplished.

We're headed back for a final round of orientation and then it's into the kitchen for dinner preparation!

More later,
Elana xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment