Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shana Tova!

went to the bus stop on time, as directed, and waited. Got a mango juice from the corner store, and waited. Sat on the park bench and practiced my new Hebrew to myself, schizophrenic as that is, and waited. About a half hour later, someone showed up only to tell me that since I was the only one at that particular time interested in seeing the gym and possibly joining, we weren't going to make the trip. Disappointed, I started walking back toward my apartment. However, a few moments later, inspiration hit - I'm going to cook dinner, I thought! We had chicken at home, and all I needed was some limes, tortilla wraps and veggies, and voila, chicken fajitas! Instead of shlepping back to Super Douche (we had been there once already earlier in the day, and I try to limit myself to once-daily visits) I decided to explore the local storefronts. Not far from our apartment is the local bank, connected to a produce store, several Russian specialty food marts, a sidewalk array of dusty pots and pans and aluminum trays (all very cheap, and of course, cash only) and a lone falafel place (everything 5 shekel!).

I searched for limes, but they are hard to find here. There is a very unique, if somewhat strange hybrid fruit of a clementine and a lime. They're green but shaped like small oranges and smell of citrus. I almost invested in a bag-full when I realized I would not have lime chicken, I would have limentine chicken. Not the desired outcome whatsoever. Figuring that I had to settle for lemony chicken, I walked back toward home, stopping into the small market across the street from my apartment just to see if limes were even a possibility, let alone available for purchase. Owned by an older woman (I think she's from Ethiopia, but between my Hebrew and her English, we haven't gotten that far yet), the market is called "Super Katzenelson" - screw you, Super Douche! Katzenelson is the name of our street, and as far as I can tell, this little store is the only semblance of civilization on the block; the rest are apartment buildings with fading paint and dogs that I swear want to maul me. Anyway, I walk into the modest produce section of Super Katzenelson, and lo and behold, limes! I bought about ten of them, hugged the woman behind the counter, wishing everyone in the store a Shana Tova, and skipped back across the street to make dinner.

It was, overall, a successful night of eating, exploring and, well, adventures (for lack of a better word). In the short time I've been here, I've learned that responsibility is key, communication is essential, and that looking out for one another is imperative. I hope this new year is about friendship and opportunities based on all the above, and, of course, lots of laughter. Having the ability to laugh at some crazy situation improves everything. Plus, doctors think that laughing more makes you live longer, and I don't normally like (or listen to) doctors. But that piece of advice, I might just take that one.

Happy New Year, readers! Love (and limes) from Bat Yam,

Elana

No comments:

Post a Comment